As you may or may not know, there are 9 dimensions of holistic wellness. Each one of these dimensions interacts with each other in a way that contributes to your quality of life.
9 dimensions of holistic wellness
– Being able to accept and understand your feelings, be aware of your thoughts, accept your mistakes and learn from them. It is important to seek support from friends or family when needed.
– Physical activity is needed to keep your body healthy and strong. It can reduce stress and body imbalances. Eating a balanced diet goes hand in hand with living a physically active lifestyle. Eat a variety of nutrient-rich food and stay away from processed foods and sugars. Exercising and healthy eating is also a key to improving your overall mental wellbeing.
– This can be through various factors including your values, ethics, morals, the universe or religious faith. This is different for every person. Balance can be made through meditation, yoga, prayer, affirmations etc. Spend time practicing mindfulness, acceptance and forgiveness.
– Reflect on your needs and yourself. Choosing a career is one of the biggest life choices you’ll make. But don’t get discouraged if you don’t pick correctly. Set realistic goals and work to accomplish them. Evaluate where you’d like to see yourself and start again. Be true to yourself.
– Respect your surroundings. This can be as simple as starting to be more aware. Look at your daily activities, how can you adopt a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. Think simple, conserve energy, recycle, or even just get out and enjoy the great outdoors.
– Understand your relationships and they bring to your life. Surround yourself with positive family members, friends and acquaintances. Don’t feel bad about cutting toxic people out of your life.
– Grow your mind. Learn something new. Pick up a hobby or travel. Be open to new ideas, knowledge, skills and environments.
– Be aware of your current financial state. Set goals and work to achieve your personal idea of financial freedom. Remember you don’t need vast amounts of money to be happy but being in debt can severely affect your quality of life. Live within your means.
– Understand and be aware of your own culture and background. Cultural wellness implies understanding the diversity and richness of other cultures and groups. These can include religion, race, sexuality, gender, age groups, different ethnic backgrounds and those with disabilities.
Holistic Wellness is the continued growth and balance of these 9 dimensions.
While they won’t always be perfect or in balance, making a conscious effort to create harmony between them is the first step of your own journey to holistic wellness.